Sunday, May 03, 2009

The Undocumented "/1000" currency formatting function

Forum question:

Hi,

How can I format currency values to shorthand?

i.e. how can I display 12500 as 12.5, 2700 as 2.7, 700 as 0.7 etc?

I have tried using various masks but can't achieve the results I'm looking for.

That's a tough one. How to make 700 into 0.7? Could there be some Oracle feature to help with this?

Two quick replies later:

Thanks for the replies guys

I wasnt aware of the "/1000" feature, but it has done exactly what I need.

Oracle needs to do more to promote these display format features. What else are they hiding? That's what we want to know.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha ha! Wait til he finds out about the /10/10 formatting function!

Joel Garry said...

Ooh ooh ooh!

Noons said...

ROFL!
Nobody tell him about
round(x,-1)!...
;)